Direct sales, also known as multi-level marketing. Some might think it’s a scam (I sure used to), and some might just be annoyed by constant messages on social media from “friends” trying to sell them things (I know I sure get annoyed!). Some also think it’s the greatest thing to happen to our society! I have to tell you, I used to HATE mlm people, and I would express that opinion any chance I got! Until I actually learned more about it and saw that if done right, it can be pretty awesome. So here I am, almost 3 years later, and I’m still thriving in the industry without spamming people as I go. This is my story of how I fell in love with direct sales after hating it for so long, and why I’m never leaving the industry.
June 2016 I had just quit my job and was wondering how I was going to support my family from home. Of course I had income from my blog, but I hadn’t quite gotten it to be the constant and reliable income I needed. I had just given birth to my second baby, and we had just purchased our first home. I worked hard to bring in the income I could, and I found myself looking for another job in the hospital, which would take me away from my kids.
Enter Direct Sales
Then, enter a makeup product that blew me away. I instantly fell in love and knew I wanted more and discovered I could promote these products myself and bring in money, so I went for it. I figured, if anyone could make this authentic and fun, it was me! That’s when I dived head first into direct sales and grew to love the opportunity it gave me. In the last 2.5 years, I’ve earned a free car lease and I’ve traveled to Costa Rica and Disney World completely for free! I’ve also gotten to train thousands of women on makeup, beauty and being an influencer, which was literally my DREAM COME TRUE. All because of direct sales.
Now I know what you might be thinking, “Girl, that’s great for you, but that’s not what regularly happens!” And you’re right, to an extent. There is a big majority in Direct sales that thinks 1. it’s easy money and all these perks come to you extremely fast (aka a get rich quick scheme) or 2. They spam their friends and family over and over again causing relationships to go sour. No wonder there are a lot of people that despise MLM’s. I sure used to because I was berated all the time on social media to join different companies.
But I’m here to tell you that not all MLM’s are bad! And the great majority aren’t scams! There is a way to be successful in whatever company you choose without looking like a fool and cold messaging! I’ve been able to do it, and have a ton of fun while I’m achieving my goals! If you are looking for a part time income, or even a full time gig, here are my tips on how to choose the right company for you, and how you can stick with it for good!
Here are my Tips for a Successful Direct Sales Business
- You have to LOVE the products. No matter how good people say the compensation plan is, or how awesome the trips look, you have to LOVE THE PRODUCTS and be using them all the time. You will never be successful if you don’t have passion for the products, company, and what they stand for! Because people will see right through that lie you are telling.
- Don’t listen to the haters! The second you start a business, there will be people telling you that you won’t succeed. This is true in any industry where you are following your dreams. It is up to you to have thick skin, get rid of the negative people in your life, and work hard at what you love no matter what.
- Use attraction marketing. Without going into a ton of detail, attraction marketing is basically being an influencer. It is a way for you to attract your ideal customers and team members, so you are all aligned with the same vision. Following attraction marketing will allow you to grow your business organically and build strong relationships along the way!
- Do.Not.Cold.Message. No matter what people in the industry say, never, and I mean never, cold message people asking them to join your team or buy your products. This technique does not work and it gives MLM’s a bad name. Network marketing is all about building relationships and networking ya’ll. So do that, be kind, and don’t be spammy!
- Set a schedule for yourself and your family. Having a business is all about balance. I learned the hard way that you will become burnt out FAST if you don’t give yourself time to decompress. Your family should always come first, so get good at setting business hours and family hours.
- Realize that anything worthwhile is going to be an uphill journey. Think about it. This applies to everything in life! Marriage, having kids, getting a degree, starting a business; all worthwhile things that require you to wake up everyday and decide you are going to work hard to make it happen. Starting any kind of business will.not.be.easy. So don’t expect direct sales to be any different! Decide you are going to work hard to hit your goals, and go for it!
- You need to be intentional about your daily tasks. I have 5 tasks that I do every single day that I know will help better myself and my businesses. Set aside time for you to actually WORK (because it requires work to be successful in anything) and get the job done! The nice thing about direct sales is you can automate things and work part time hours!
So you see, direct sales, if done correctly is actually an amazing opportunity to share products you love. Not to mention being able to support your family doing so. Being a blogger, this was a natural fit for me anyways. I love that I can make a large profit from makeup and skincare I am already using! I hope that this post opens up your eyes a little more to what direct sales really is, and that you can check out all the opportunities out there for you!
Thank you all for reading this post!! If you are interested in learning more about what I do, you can check out my Facebook Page, Facebook Group, and my Instagram! I love talking about what I do and how I am able to play with makeup while supporting my family! Hope to see you soon on social!