We’ve all been there. We plan out posts, take pictures, edit them, promote our posts like crazy, and sometimes with little success. We get up early, go to be late, and try to convince our family that it’s all worth the time. Some days though, it’s just too much. Whether we be out of ideas, or we are just exhausted, sometimes as bloggers, we experience burnout. I’ve definitely dealt with this many times as a blogger, and sometimes I’ve even felt like quitting the blogging game (gasp!). Through these hard times though, I’ve found some ways to get myself out of my rut and get myself inspired again!
I hope these blogging burnout tips help any of you that are experiencing something similar! And these tips don’t just help bloggers, they are great for any type of entrepreneur or creative type!
How do you get through periods of burnout? What tips do you have for bloggers dealing with this kind of thing?
How to Deal with Blogger Burnout
- Take a break. It’s OK to take a break as a blogger! Sometimes we just need to sit back and relax for a week (or sometimes longer!). Just know that breaks do effect your blog statistics though. My suggestion is to scale your work back instead of completely stopping, just so you don’t lose any readers! When I’m experiencing burnout, I’ll post maybe 2-3 times a week instead of 5-6. This helps me to feel less stressed! As far as numbers go, my page views do take a dip, but at least it’s not as drastic of a dip if I stopped writing all together!
- Take some time to get re-inspired. When I need to find inspiration again, I read. Whether it be magazines, other blogs, books, articles…I just read and LEARN! When I’m learning from others, it inspires me to write and create. Next time you feel like you are in a rut, pick a topic and study it! Then write a blog post about it! Currently I’m reading a book on SEO, blog advertising, and I’m taking an online class for photoshop! Learning and growing in my knowledge helps me to want to teach and inspire you all through my blog!
- Try writing about a different topic. Are you totally bored of outfit posts? Are you sick of creating recipe after recipe? Try something totally new that excites you! Personally I like blogs that write about many different topics vs. blogs that only write about one or two. Mix it up and keep things fresh!
- Revisit your blogging goals (or set new ones!). Sometimes when we set big goals for ourselves, we can loose sight along the way. This is NORMAL! Take a look at those big goals and assess where you are. Are you close or still very far away? What can you do to change things up to achieve your goals faster? Try setting new little goals for yourself to get yourself back in the groove!
- Reassess what makes you happy (about blogging, life, etc). This is the best thing you can do no matter what you are doing in life! Every 4 months or so, I like to take a step back and look at the things in life that are making me happy and unhappy. How can I change the unhappy things? What can I do to add more happy things? You can totally do this in blogging too! Are you hating a weekly post that you are doing? Are you loving taking pictures and sharing tips instead? Get rid of your old feature and write about something new that makes you happy! Just remember, you should be blogging to make yourself happy above everything else. So get rid of the mundane and create something new and exciting!